Saturday, July 17, 2010

I Like Winter

I've decided that winter really is the best time to use my new observatory. Over these past few months it's been very difficult to get significant time using the telescope, unless I stay up all night long. The long summer days mean that I can't really get started looking at faint objects until after 11:30 PM. Since I need to work for a living, and be awake while doing it, that also means I can only really use it during the weekends.

There were a couple weekends where I was out until 4:00 AM but mostly it's been until about 1:00 AM. Of course those of us in Minnesota know that during June we had cloudy skies pretty much the entire month so during that time I didn't even observe once. But May was great since I got out 5 times.

During this past winter I was able to go out to the observatory right after work. I could get 4-5 hours in whether it was a weekday or a weekend. The only issue is the cold so I'm once again glad that I have a warming house attached. So this winter I should be able to start taking photographs more often.

I do have a couple photo's that I can post however. This spring we did some planting around the observatory and added some mulch. I also laid down some stepping stones in the grass between the driveway and the front door. I also completed making a sign and hung that up in the observatory.

The one night sky photo I'm posting is one I took just this past weekend. It's of object M57 which is also named the Ring Nebula. It's a planetary nebula which is created by a star at the end of its life when it sheds its outer layers. These outer layers expand out into space but the star continues to produce faster moving particles which then catch up with the slower moving outer layer particles and causes them to glow. When early astronomers saw these objects, with telescopes that didn't have the size and quality of today's scopes, they felt that these round objects looked like planets, hence the name planetary nebula. But these objects have nothing to do with planets. Not all stars die this way, only the medium size ones. The really large stars die in supernova explosions. Our Sun is a average, medium size star so it will form a planetary nebula after another 5 billion years or so (don't wait up).



Landscaping Around Observatory

New Observatory Sign

Planetary Nebula M57 - Ring Nebula


Blog Archive